Saturday, June 25, 2016

VINTAGE WINDOWS + ETCHING CREME = FAMILY HEIRLOOMS


.

Have you ever tried etching?  Here is a fixer-upper DIY project you might enjoy.  Vintage windows have been very popular the past few years.  I like them as much as anybody, but wasn't sure what I would do with them when I got home.  I decided to make my windows into family heirlooms that would grace our family room wall. 


I started with the larger window and etched the letters.  This project took a while where the smaller window that I am showing here today was much easier.  I blocked off the letters and etched all around them.  Read below to see how I did it!


I etched the smaller window with the word "FAMILY".  
You will need:

vintage window
etchallRetching creme   http://etchall.com/store/products/etchall-etching-creme
etchallR etchmask and etchmask transfer sheets  http://etchall.com/etchmask/
etchallR tools:  Squeegee  http://etchall.com/store/products/etchall-squeegee/
                     Detail Pick  http://etchall.com/store/products/etchall-detail-pick-tool/
painters Tape
die cut machine
alphabet letters cartridge
cardstock (for die-cutting sample letters)
spray bottle with water, paper towels, old hand towel

Here is the window before I used the etchallR  on it. It sure took me a long time to finally get it done, even though it has been hanging on the wall!  The blank window probably posed a question for company; but they were all too polite to ask!  I chose not to paint over the old paint on the frame.  I may change my mind one day, but for now I am leaving the original paint for an authentic vintage aesthetic!

Instructions:

1.  Clean and dry the glass surface thoroughly.

2.  Cut letters out of cardstock first to make sure you get the right size.  I cut a 4" F and the other letters are
      3".  I spaced the letters the way I wanted them and put a small piece of painter's tape below each letter         to mark where the bottom of the letter should sit when I adhere the etchmask letters.
 3.  Once you figure out the right size; you will cut out the etchmask with the etchmask transfer paper           attached to it.  If this is your first time using it; I would suggest going to the website and watching a video showing how you use the product.  Here is the link:  http://etchall.com/getting-started/
4.  Adhere the etchmask transfer paper to the etchmask and cut out the letters with the die-cut machine.  Adhere each letter to the glass above the painter's tape as shown.  Use the Squeegee to remove all of the air bubbles between the glass and etchmask.  Use the detail pick tool to remove the transfer paper from the top of the etchmask, leaving the etchmask firmly in place.

5.  Now comes the fun part.  Carefully pour out the etching creme over the entire surface of the glass.  Spread it using the squeegee and do not press down.  Spread the creme as though you were frosting a cake and make sure it is a thick layer.  Set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes.

6.  Make sure you have a spray bottle of water and paper towels handy.  I also used a soft hand towel.
When the time is up, carefully scoop up the etching creme with the squeegee and return it to the etchall creme bottle.  It will be "good to go" for more uses.  The creme will turn a dark brown color eventually; but it will still work.  

7.  Once all of the creme is back in the bottle; spray the surface with water and clean up with paper towels.  Remove all of the etchmask letters.  Continue cleaning the surface of the glass to remove any residue.  Dry thoroughly. I used the hand towel to make the surface nice and shiny.

8.  Attach a wire to the back of the window to hang.  The windows are fairly heavy so I used a molly toggle bolts to hang it on the wall.  Enjoy your masterpiece!

Oh!  I had a little helper today.  The kitty is always looking for a sweet spot to take a nap in....or maybe just to sit in to give me his support!  This is the spot he found today to watch me work.  I won't tell you what happened when he decided to get down; but it was more work for me!



Thank you for stopping by today.  I appreciate getting comments and questions!  The comment boxes are below.


Make sure to take time to enjoy the small blessings along the way; and

Live Life with a Flourish!

Marilyn
















3 comments:

  1. These are great! Love that you show both positive and negative. The tutorial was very easy to follow with very good pictures to compliment the article......THANKS!! Kudos Marilyn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, numerous temporary workers have stretched out their utilization to supplant prime windows. 2018 Solar energy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Particular interviews furnish firsthand message on mart size, industry trends, ontogeny trends, capitalist landscape and outlook, etc. eddm ® printing - every door direct mail® postcards for cheap

    ReplyDelete