Do you save up money to take a special trip, buy gifts, etc.? My son-in-law likes to drive Uber and Lyft on the week-ends and I thought this would be a fun gift for his recent birthday! The jar is decorated with the different suits of a deck of cards with a money sign on the lid. I printed out 32 tips for a good life and attached them with washi tape to 32 $1.00 bills (the number of his years) for seed money in his jar.
Read on to see how I did it!
- Styletech Craft Vinyl: Ultra Metallic: Green 131, Black 128, Gold 127, Red 129
- Styletech Craft Vinyl Tape: Ultra Metallic: Gold, 1/2"
- Styletech release paper
- Jar: clear glass 4-1/2" wide x 5-1/2" tall square with lid
- rubber scraper; pic tool
- Die-cut machine, shapes: diamond, clover, heart, club, circle, square, alphabet letters, dollar sign
- Adhesive rhinestone and faux metallic pearls
- measuring tool such as a ruler
- Set up your die cut machine to cut vinyl. Measure the flat surface of one side of the square jar and cut out one square to fit that size. Apply the release paper to the top of the colored vinyl, covering the cuts.
- Weed the vinyl and white release paper from the Styletech release paper. (If you are new to applying vinyl; there are many videos on youtube that show tutorials to educate you on weeding vinyl.) Apply the vinyl (adhesive side) to the side panel of the jar, smoothing out all of the air bubbles. Use a straight pin to lightly prick an air bubble if you can't get rid of it with the rubber scraper. Repeat with the red heart and diamond and the black club and spade for the other sides of the jar.
- Measure the top of the lid. Cut a circle to fit the lid. Apply release paper, weed out the excess vinyl and the white release paper. Apply the circle to the top of the lid as for the sides of the jar. (See view #1)
- Cut out the dollar sign from the green vinyl. I cut the dollar sign shown here at 3". If you are using a different size jar lid; measure to get the right size.
- Cut out alphabet letters at 3/4" from black vinyl to spell "Tips". Apply letters and dollar sign as for steps #1 and #2. Use the rubber scraper to release any air bubbles.
- Finish: Embellish the jar using the faux adhesive pearls and rhinestones. Apply the gold vinyl tape around the sides of the jar lid. If you can't find the tape; use the paper trimmer to cut a strip of vinyl to apply instead.
- Refer to the photos shown below which portrays each side of the jar.
Money & Tips! I googled "tips for a good life" and found some good advice given in numbered tips. I copied and pasted into a word document and made the font the size I needed....about size 14.
Space between the numbered tips so that they can be cut out individually. I used a paper trimmer to cut and a scissors to trim any excess paper. I attached one tip to one dollar bill with a piece of Washi tape. Repeat for each of the tips. I used 32 tips and bills for the number of years the birthday recipient was celebrating!
Thanks for visiting the blog today.
Take time to enjoy the small blessings along the way and,
Live Life with a Flourish!
I receive free product in exchange
for my creativityin this blog.